Up To My Neck In Potholes

I started blogging nearly a year ago to inspire others with what is possible through sharing my story. The ups and downs, crazy adventures, hilarity of life as a competitor, training, and recipes.

Somewhere along the way I made a decision for you.

I decided that you didn’t want to hear about the downs, the hard things, or the obstacles.

For some reason I believed that sharing those things would bore you and make you stop reading, and I want you to keep reading because I really like you.

Life is really hard, no two ways about it.

I am firmly on the wagon of clean eating, working out, positive thinking, and a disciplined life; but I am all alone on the wagon and its my fault.

Somewhere on the journey I decided that I was strong enough to get the wagon out of all the potholes that are in the road of life and that I don’t need any help.

After all, people that need help are weak, right?

Wrong.

Turns out admitting your weaknesses makes you strong.

As counterintuitive as it seems, yes, being honest about what you need help with makes you strong. It builds a community of amazing people that helps each other out and creates an unforgettable impact on the world.

Hello, my name is Donloree Hoffman. I am a Figure Competitor and I struggle with:

These things could get a woman down and have gotten me down in the past. They are not going to get in my way any more because I am no longer doing it alone.

While I work on the outside and train to earn my pro card, I am going to work on the inside and earn my pro card in life.

Hold onto your hats folks! The winds of change are blowing.

Today isΒ Day One of Operation Pro.

Yup.Β Not June 1 or January 1, but today.

In all honesty, I have no idea how long it will take. All I do know is that it requires determination, openness, community, goal setting and accountability.

My goals for the next year are as follows:

• Compete and earn first place in my class
  • Build a successful leadership coaching business
  • Finish the first draft of my book
  • Achieve my Personal Training Certification
  • Give a motivational talk or teaching to at least one group of people a month for the next 12 months
  • Create a Bikini or Bust Summit that all of the BoBettes can attend
  • Attend the Olympia or Arnold
  • Create a life coaching and fitness program for junior high girls to address self esteem and self confidence issues
  • Post monthly progress pictures; Gertrude and all

To move my goals forward in May, I will post progress pictures on May 25 and take the written exam for my PT Certification on May 28, but I need a group of people to speak to!

Instead of falling into the pothole, here I go asking for help!

Do you know anyone that would like a funny Figure Competitor to come speak to them? If so, email me STAT! Coffee and chocolate are very acceptable means of payment.

Are you in a pothole up to your neck? If so, how can I help get you out?

Let’s go get this thing called life TOGETHER, even if it isn’t always pretty!

Comments

1. Love it. You could come speak to me, alas, I am not a group. Just a single. But tell me when and where and I WILL BE THERE!

I totally hear you when it comes to the need to be positive, strong and well – to pull the whole dang wagon by yourself. I am S L O W L Y learning that asking for help is beneficial to all involved, not just me. But it’s a slow lesson learned for us stubborn types.

I think for me at least, I perceive so many deficiencies about myself that I don’t want to be the one who needs to ask for help in addition to being fat/homely/slovenly and whatever other lies I am believing about me. Sometimes it just feels like it hurts too much to be THAT girl — but then, it kind of hurts to try and pull it out on your own too.

This is a very rambly response – but I do want to say that you inspire me! I love your go-get-em attitude. I love your “how are you fab” tweets every day. And I love that sporadically you check in on me to make sure I’m keeping up with my diet/exercise. My pot hole is this baby weight, those taunting size 6’s and 8’s. After we hit that, maybe we can talk about a new goal. But for now? I want the fit me back.

Thanks for the kind words in helping me get there!

Perhaps I should just come speak to you plus whoever else in Edmonton wants to get together over coffee on Thursday or Friday this week. πŸ™‚ Works for me!!

I don’t know when and where we started to believe the lie that asking for help means we are deficient. I think realizing that you need help is the start of being LESS deficient, unfortunately my pride and heart don’t usually agree with my brain.

The fit you has already come back on the inside of you; she will show up soon on the outside – I promise!!

2. Good for you! What great goals. Check out my friend Maggie’s site – she is here in the UK but she works helping teen girls with body image, too. You never know if you could be helpful to each other in the future!
    Nic

Thank you! I will check out Maggie’s site for sure. I really appreciate the link and the help. πŸ™‚

3. This post literally made me bawl all the way through it. I have never felt more alone in my life as being a figure competitor, Donloree… And to be really honest, this post made me feel less alone. I constantly feel like I’m bugging everyone if I have a question because no one in this area even knows what figure competing is.
    I constantly get down on myself, even about silly things like not getting my BOB Application video in on time… which is affecting how I train. My training isn’t even fun anymore.
    Thank you for this post. Although I don’t know how to ask for help (yet), this did make me feel better.

Lacey! We are here for you and you are not alone. I promise. I have an email coming your way tonight!!!

• Hang in there Lacey! I know the feeling, no one around here knows about competing either. I know “of” one person who competes, but I’ve never met her. It’s just not a big thing here. I was lost when I started. You’re doing great and even if in the blogging world we never get to meet, we are always here for eachother- it’s the greatest thing!

4. Andrea Smith says:

Hello!
    I am new to your site and new to fitness competitions. I will be competing in my first bikini competition this Sept!! I recently found the Let’s Move website and from there got to womenshealth.gov and girlshealth.gov, I was trying to think of ways to help young girls understand health and wellness also….check out the sites and let me know if you think of anything.

Andrea Smith

Congratulations on your competition in September, that is SO exciting!!! I will check out these websites and see if there is a way for me to be involved that makes sense. If I find something I will let you know! πŸ™‚

5. PS- I covet your use of metaphors in blogging.
    PPS – I like you. πŸ™‚

6. love this post.love it.love that you are so real,down to earth and are proving that you are human!
    great goals you have,so stay the cpurse chica—you can and WILL do this!!

Thank you! Yup, I as human as they come; aren’t we all. We can and we will do this!! Thanks for being part of the ‘us’!

7. Justine says:

I really enjoy meeting with you and reading your blog. You inspire me to be a better me.

I agree with Sarah, I would totally be there to listen to you speak so let me know if you have any presentations set up.

8. You know I’m with you, 100%! I have the same issues as you, we are just human. I (I think I speak for a lot of people here) NEED to hear about the negatives, the downfalls, and the struggles. That makes us realize we are not alone, like we thought we were.

9. Michelle says:

You are such an inspiration. <3 I read your blog every morning when I come in to work and it encourages me that I can be strong too. No one is perfect and thats what makes everybody so beautiful and interesting! I wish your body wasn't sick too. But every obstacle has a lesson, and God won't give you more than you can handle! So he must think you're tougher than you think you are! πŸ˜€ You're going to get better and things *will* work out, it's just a matter of your attitude and intentions during the process. Anyone can kick and scream and whine, but you're not, you're pushing through and striving ahead! That's what makes you the strong, beautiful, funky lady we all love reading about!! πŸ™‚ I hope this encourages you and that you have a great day! πŸ™‚

10. Again, you just spoke/ wrote out of my mind. I remember messaging you months ago, how lonely I feel here. Not having somebody to share all the doubts, experiences and results. I am constantly thinking that something is wrong with my body :). I wish I would live near you. Amazing and I don’t know why, but I feel so close to you. I tell my sister always from you and now we both read your blogs every morning as first thing.
    Whatever you are writing, keep writing and please let me know when it’s out :).
    Even if I’m not that active on twitter or else, please now you are followed close. Thank you again for your suggestions of today…

Thank you! You are with me in spirit, that is why! We are in this together. Thank you so much for reading and being part of my journey; it wouldn’t be the same without you.