Reading, not writing!
Apparently people think I am able to produce more than is even possible. When I posted about my idea to read a book a week on Facebook, people thought I meant writing books, not reading them.
I have always read a lot. I mean A LOT.
As in when I was a kid and we went to the library, I would take out 15 to 20 books and read nearly every single one of them in a few weeks. When I was in junior high, I was a book a day kind of a girl. Malcom Gladwell would most likely agree that reading is what I have spent my 10,000 hours on, or close to it.
In fact, researchers have settled on what they believe is the magic number for true expertise: ten thousand hours.
~ Malcolm Gladwell
- Why not add a few more hundred to my nearly 10,000?
Leaders are learners … and so are authors.
In order to grow myself, my writing, and learn more about the world, I have decided to give into my book a week idea. I will be reading one book a week and posting on Mondays about the book I just read and give you the Official Donloree Opinion, aka Ridiculousness.
- I may even make a video if I am feeling adventurous.
Reading is a team sport.
This should be epic, in a good way, and the more the merrier!
In case you want to join in (which you know you do), below are the Guidelines and Definitions for the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Challenge.
Guidelines and Definitions:
- Book – A full length fiction or non-fiction book; YA is fine, but no children’s books.
- Week – Monday to Sunday makes up the reading week.
- Reading ahead is acceptable. If a book is long and requires more than a week to finish it is fine to start ‘early’ and take a few weeks to read it as long as another book is being read to fulfill the ‘book a week’ goal.
- Start date. Whenever you start is fine. No one needs to wait until January 1 to start new things – start today! I am starting on March 31, 2014.
- Accountability. I will post a weekly blog about the book I just read – hopefully on Mondays and letting you know which book is up next in case you want to read along.
- Social media. Because I love social media, I started a Pinterest board and will use the hashtag #52books when I tweet about the crazy book reading.
- Number is up to you. If you want to do 26 in 52 weeks, 13 or maybe even 6 – go for it! The point is to push yourself to read more and be intentional about it. Don’t let my ridiculousness stop you from setting your own goal.
And it is official, I am looking for book recommendations – both fiction and non-fiction; especially creative non-fiction. If you have a recommendation, send it my way!