I think almost all competitors are recovering control freaks and suffer from some level of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
We take what was intended for evil and turn it into good…or something.
At least that is what I tell myself.
I have fully admitted that I am a recovering control freak that keeps track of everything. This explains why I sometimes have a nutrition label torn off a snack I bought while ‘out and about‘ lurking in my purse for a few days. Sometimes you have to eat random things to keep the hanger from getting the best of you.
No macro shall go unrecorded.
I also keep track of all my workouts and how epic they were. Seeing how this week is all about the legs, I thought I would share some of my least *ahem* most favorite leg workouts that have been fraught with squats.
Killing you didn’t seem like a good idea, so legs every day will not be done. I couldn’t bear the responsibility of crippling so many people, so this challenge is going to be a little different but no less challenging!
Eight Squats Squatting.
Pick one or two of the workouts to complete this week. I usually do one heavy leg day a week, but if you’re super brave complete two leg days, but no more than two. Remember the growth happens when you rest!
We are all relaxed and limber from last week’s yoga challenge so its time to push hard again.
Remember to warm up well before you start training, and heck, foam roll while you’re at it.
- 4 sets with reps at 30, 10, 30, 10
- 4 sets at 12 reps
Leg extension – run the rack
- 2 sets at reps of 10
To ‘run the rack’ start at the lowest weight and do 10 reps, add next increment of weight and complete 10 more reps….continue until you can’t go anymore.
Bulgarian split squats
- 3 sets at reps of 12 per leg
Lying leg curl (superset with next exercise – leg press)
- 3 sets at 6 reps- try to increase weight each set
- 3 sets at 30 reps – try to increase weight each set
- 3 sets at 15 reps- try to increase weight each set
- 4 sets at 6 reps
*each rep is timed for 5 seconds down and 5 seconds up, creating a 10 second rep*
Barbell box squats
- 8 work sets at reps of 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 8, 8, 30 (60 seconds rest between sets)
DB stiff legged deadlifts (superset with the next exercise – db walking lunges)
- 4 sets of 12 reps
DB walking lunges
- 4 sets at 15, 12, 10, 8 per leg
- 1 straight set of 30
- 3 yoyo sets at 8/10/6
*a yoyo set is done by going heavy, light, heavy
Jump squats (superset with next exercise – wall squats)
- 2 sets of 45 seconds
- 2 sets of 60 seconds
And this is what I am doing tomorrow as part of my program, feel free to join in even though there aren’t any squats. Oops!
Lying leg press
- 5 sets at 15, 15, 12, 12, 10 – increase weight each set (45 seconds of rest between sets)
DB backward lunges (superset with next exercise)
- 4 sets at 20 reps – increase weight with each set
- 4 sets at 10, 10, 8, and 30 – increase weight with each set and lower for last set
- 2 sets of 30 3 by 3 reps – 3 reps, 3 seconds of rest, 3 reps for 30 total reps – increase weight with each set
*if I read this right each set of 30 reps is 6 x 30 or 180 reps…I forgot to ask this question so I guess that is what I will be doing. Pray for me.
Feel free to switch up the squats that you are doing in the leg workout, a few of my favorite squats are:
- Good old fashioned barbell squat
- Bulgarian split squat
- Hack squats machine or bar
- Barbell box squats
- Wall squats/sits
- Jump squats
- Goblet squats
- Front squats
And just in case you were wondering, the goal is to end up in a crumpled heap on the floor.