I get asked a lot why I like bodybuilding or why I do it. There are tons of stereotypes out there about bodybuilders, especially women bodybuilders. Being an all-natural athlete, I promise there is no way I can have arms the size of tree trunks nor am I suddenly going to develop a man voice from doing too many leg presses.
So to answer the many queries, my top five reasons I love bodybuilding this week are:
1. When the skinny 19 year old boy at Costco can’t heft the epic reusable bag into the cart, I can do it with ease using only one hand. I LOVE saying, “No worries. I’ve got it. I’m a bodybuilder.” Then I bat my eyelashes for good measure. The shock and awe on his face makes me giggle and I am on cloud 9 for the rest of the day.
2. There is no ‘we‘ in bodybuilding. I despise team sports. I grew up reading books for goodness sake! I have no idea how to strategize a play or how man to man defense differs from zone defense. I just run around on the field and try to avoid crashing into people whenever I am forced to play soccer, baseball, basketball, or ultimate frisbee. If you’re looking for a person to play summer league this year, you aren’t going to want to call me!
3. I feel like if there was a huge accident that I could leap over tall buildings, heft cars off people, or perform some super human feat to save someone. I have embodied the Boy Scout’s mantra to ‘Always Be Prepared‘, so much so that I am looking for ways to display my super woman powers throughout the day. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to pry open a car door with my bare hands to save a small family from a near death experience. Maybe one day….one day soon…
4. My name is Donloree and I am totally quirky. My name shocks and surprises people about 78% of the time. It’s just nice to have something NEW to shock people with.
5. If I can do this, anyone can train, compete, and be a bodybuilder. Don’t tell, but this is my favorite reason. I want the world to know that if you put your mind and heart into something it CAN be achieved. If the woman that used to think she just had a round face and wouldn’t go swimming due to complete awkward shame can rock a bedazzled suit, you can do it too!